So, I've decided that for my first home project I'm going to create violet syrup. Violets are one plant it was easy for me to identify in my backyard that are blooming right now, and that I could find a good use for. (And in the empty "field" lot next to me, woo hoo!)
"But, couldn't you just go and buy some violet syrup if you really wanted that," you might ask? Well, I'm a member of the SCA, where - through medieval recreation - we learn how to do things ourselves, and not just go out to the store and buy it! ;) If you need other reasons then it's also likely considerably cheaper in most cases, and more rewarding. You could even do projects as a family. So there you go, a few good reasons why. Now, back to the syrup:
I have picked about 2/3 cup white and purple violet blossoms. To make a syrup, I consulted the guide I summarized into this post. A syrup is made by combining an infusion or decoction with other ingredients. So I'd need to make either an infusion or a decoction.
A decoction is best used for more stubborn things like roots, bark, twigs, and berries. An infusion is a way to process the aerial parts of a plant, which these flowers are, so an infusion it is.
2 tsp fresh herb to 1 cup of water makes 1 dose.
For my project, that means 4 1/2 cups water as I measured 9 tsp of flowers. When measuring the flowers I pressed them down just a bit to make sure the teaspoon was filled properly.
"Place herb in strainer. Fill cup with freshly boiled water. Put strainer in cup, cover, and leave for 5-10 minutes before removing strainer. Drink hot or cold."
Before putting in the flowers, though, of course I rinsed them first to ensure no undesired add-ins made it into my infusion! ;D I stuffed them into this mesh tea strainer, boiled the water, and dropped it into the bowl. Covered the bowl and left it, as it says, for about 10 minutes.
Now, to turn this infusion into a syrup.
"Pour an infusion or decoction into a pan. Add honey or sugar. Gently heat, stirring constantly until all honey or sugar has dissolved and mixture has syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and cool. Pour cooled syrup into sterilized glass jars with a funnel. Seal, store in dark place. Don't use screw-topped bottles as they may explode - instead use cork stoppered jars."
Actually, the recipe for Violet Syrup calls for the juice of 1 lemon plus 6 cups of sugar when using the quantity of 4 cups of water (and a few more violets than I had available, but alas. Perhaps I can add more to it later). So after this has had time to infuse, I will cook the other ingredients in before bottling.
This entry was posted
on Sunday, March 27, 2011
at 10:07 PM
and is filed under
ALL,
Herbal
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.

