Plantain Oil  

Posted by Mermaiden in ,


Today I have taken the plantain herbs I picked, cleaned, and placed into oil, out of their oil. Now the oil is infused with all the wonderful properties of the plant. The benefit of this is not only providing a means through which to use the plant other than edible, but also to preserve it in a way that provides year-round useage.

In Medieval days, we would know through our instincts and basic knowledge of observation that soon now the Winter will be upon us. The days are still mild and fair but this will not last for long. While during the Spring and the Summer and even on into the Fall, fresh plants may be picked and prepared anytime they are needed, this is just not so during the Winter. Some plants are also best used at certain seasonal intervals so preservation is crucial for extending the usage of these, as well.

I should know how messy this will be before beginning; I open the two pint jars and they smell strong, somewhat like pepperoni. So I know it's going as it should, haha.  I pour the jars over into a muslin cloth over a container to catch the oil and gently squeeze all the oil through from the plants. Now I can place this into a nice sealed jar to use!

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 2, 2011 at 3:32 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment