With the knowledge learned from William Ismead's class, and using the measurement guidelines I found from Jadwiga Zajaczkowa's Making Herbal Preparations, I have successfully put together 3 different flavors of lip balms, and also some healing salves.
Lip Balms
The balms are simple: olive oil, beeswax, and something to flavor it. The oil could be infused, but the flavor comes from essential oil which provides benefits as well as the flavor.
Grapefruit - it's refreshing, stimulating, and even protects damaged skin.
It can cause skin irritation if exposed to constant sunlight after application. There are no other conflicts to note.
Peppermint - freshens breath, relieves painful skin; also nourishes and cools.
The aroma can help alleviate headaches, stress, congestion, athsma, and coughs.
Healing Salves
The salves were also really simple. I decided upon a mix of my infused plantain oil, vitamin E oil, some dried chamomile, and lavender essential oil.
It would be ideal if I had allowed the dried herbs to simmer slowly in the oil for some hours then discard the powdered herb material after all the oil was poured off the top; however I took a different route. I did allow the crushed herb particles several minutes in the warm oil to ensure they were completely saturated. But then I went ahead and stirred them directly into the mixture. This won't hurt a bit but might leave a bit of sediment at the bottom. This is the only real downfall. I did try stirring two of them up after the mixture was cooling but it did not look smooth, pretty, and attractive like the rest so I left well enough alone! ;) I believe that if the mixture could be slightly cooler before pouring up, the crushed herb particles could be stirred in and they would suspend properly.
So using the dried herbs straight is still a bit of a work in progress. But I am still pleased with the salves.
Safe(r) Vaping
7 years ago

