Violet Oil  

Posted by Mermaiden in ,

Must write down my ideas to be sure I remember them later.  What a busy time of year. Finishing up A&S project work, preparing for Thanksgiving, and then it is time for Magna Faire!  Thank goodness I will have some vacation days off to tinker.

Thank you Lord William! He has helped me to realize what put  me off so much about the violet oil I created.  You see, I was concerned originally that perhaps something had not gone well because I did not dry the plants before making the cold oil infusion. However this was a common period practice, and is still done today. The risk for water being in the oil turning rancid is there. However with the freshly made oil spelling and looking exactly the same this much later, I know that it is not spoiled, it just smelled funny!  This is no different from plantain oil. It smells very pungent as well. And here's the key.  When you think of violet, you think of the delicate, yet strong, floral scent.  But oil is made from the leaves of the plant, not the flowers. So it smells nothing at all like the flowers.  And, here's the best part. It's not supposed to!  There is nothing at all wrong with my oil. I was just hesitant about it, not yet having any knowledge of such a thing. I have made quite a few oil infusions since then, both dried and fresh plants. I have learned about some herbs which would be best in a heated infusion, and some which are best done cold. And since I started making the infusions, I have made quite a few salves and balms with them, as well. I feel much, much better about this violet oil now.  ^_^

This entry was posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment