In order to submit my Magna Faire project, after talking with Alianore about the project and deciding where I was heading with this, I made the choice to do things in the right order -- not by making something then documenting it, which as Magdalena pointed out can be difficult to get documented properly. I used the documentation to determine what I needed to do with this project in order to really create this as it would have been in Medieval Period, which is really the whole point! So, I am re-working the oil.
First I picked a nice batch of ribwort from the yard. Next I washed and dried it.
Then I tore it by hand and crushed it to bruise the leaves with a mortar and pestle.
Then I placed the bruised leaves into a glass jar, NOT pressing them down but just to fill the jar.
(How nice that I picked exactly enough!)
The last step at this phase is to pour olive oil into the jar, just to cover the leaves. Shake or tap to get the air bubbles out so that all leaves are in all contact with oil.
Cap the jar and wait a couple of weeks. You will know it's ready when it smells sort of like pepperoni!
At that point you just strain the oil through a cloth into another vessle, and it's ready for whatever you plan on doing with it next. And then you will have an herbal infused oilve oil!
This entry was posted
on Sunday, November 20, 2011
at 12:55 PM
and is filed under
ALL,
Herbal
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.

